Followers

Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Welcome to the Neighborhood

Twenty-three years ago, I bought my very first house. Not a week later, I was greeted at my door with a homemade cake and a "Welcome to the neighborhood" from my new next door neighbor.

Later in the month, I had met almost everyone on my street and even the street behind me.

My daughter, five-years-old at the time, quickly became friends with the other children in the neighborhood. When my son was older (he was just a baby when we moved in), he, too, made friends. They'd all spend their day playing, riding bikes, or just sitting on someone's porch talking. Us mothers visited each other during our spare time and weren't a bit hesitant to call on one another when needed.

Over the years, my roots loosened from that soil and were planted several times in many different types of "neighborhoods". With each one, I just haven't felt the same bond as I did with my first home.

People do not "welcome" new neighbors to a community like they used to. Neighborhoods no longer truly exist in my part of the world, or at least that's been my personal experience.

Maybe it's because everyone works endless hours to have the necessities of life. All we want to do is spend our free hours at home relaxing before the free hours speed by. We're afraid of being crowned that "nosy neighbor", perhaps, or always the one who drives the people back inside their homes to avoid conversation.

It's true...times have changed, but are the changes actually good ones?

The reason for this post? We have new neighbors. They started moving in this past weekend. I watched the trucks back up and I reminisced of the days I moved into my first home; how friendly everyone was, how I was anxious about moving into a place so close to others, and most importantly, would my children be happy growing up there. Would I have neighbors from hell or would I be the neighbor from hell?

What exactly happened to society? Are there any "neighborhoods" left in this wonderful state, country, or world? Can we really live next door to someone and never even know their name? Yes, we can...

Anyway...to the new people across the street...

Author Savannah Rose


4 comments:

  1. Bringing food is a nice thing. We haven't had anyone new show up in the trailer park in awhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first house I ever lived in (besides my parents'), we rented. We lived out in the country and it seemed like every time I turned around, someone was at the door with food. Homemade apple crisp from the little old lady across the street. A canned "Mason Jar" of veggie soup from our landlord. Even a chocolate cake from the neighbor down the way. It's been my experience no one does stuff like that anymore. In this house we're in now, one of our neighbor's (and co-workers) did leave a watermelon from her garden on the front porch. That was nice.

      Delete
    2. That is very nice. I still share food but I cook and bake all the time. That said, these days, people have so many allergies and restrictions. Myself included.

      Delete