Followers

Friday, January 6, 2017

New Year's Resolutions...Yes? No?

2016 was a good year for me. I stuck to the one New Year's Resolution I made...I am now a vegetarian. Well, actually a pesco-vegetarian (I still eat seafood and fish). As 2017 quickly approached, I figured if I could keep that resolution, I'd try again. Nothing too elaborate. Nothing too demanding. Nothing that before I even started, I'd already set myself up for failure. What is it, you ask? Keep reading...

MINIMIZE...my closets, my house, my garage, my life. YUP...simplify is the goal. My husband and I have lived in our little 1550 square foot home for nearly 5 years now. There are boxes in the garage that haven't even been opened. My closets are bursting at the seam. Not just with clothes (although that is a problem all in itself) but "stuff" that hardly ever sees daylight. So, I watched a documentary during my 12 day vacation from work (my husband and I work at the same place so we both were home) titled "The Minimalist".

Of course my husband said right off the bat...isn't that the reason you don't eat meat anymore...Netflix documentaries...and it's true.

Anyway, the way these people expressed how freeing it was to get rid of their "stuff" made me want to be free, too. I want to be able to walk to my closet and open the door without praying nothing falls on my head. I want to be able to go to my garage and actually not have to slide against the car to get in. I want my life to be simple and carefree (well as much as it can be).

There are some things I cannot change (at least not right at this very given moment) in my life. But this...this minimal living...I can do this (maybe). We'll start out slow like cleaning out the garage and go from there.

Do you make New Year's Resolutions? If so, have you ever been successful in keeping them? To be quite honest, in my 47 years on this Earth, last year was the first resolution I was ever able to keep for the entire year. Share your thoughts.

Author Savannah Rose

3 comments:

  1. I don't make yearly goals for New Years but I am big into decluttering. I think you know already but I got rid of 95 percent of my stuff and I don't miss a flippin' thing. Nothing. Not any of it.

    Happy Decluttering to you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ivy. You are such an inspiration.

      Delete
    2. You are as well. So cool what you've done. Here's to writing and publishing!

      Delete